Sailing for DummiesBook - 1997
Sailing has played a crucial role in the growth and development of the world as we know it. But even in today’s high-tech, fast-paced world, the sport of sailing still brings tremendous pleasure to those who choose to indulge in it.
Whether you want to race or just cruise at a leisurely pace, Sailing For Dummies will speed you along your course to sailing mastery. If you’ve never sailed before, here’s the primer you need to get started and choose the right sailing school for you. If you’ve already gotten your feet wet, you’ll now be ready to take your next steps—whether they include sailing around the world, racing, or just safely including your children in the adventure.
A textbook, user’s manual, and reference book all in one, Sailing For Dummies introduces you to the exciting world of sailing, and shows you everything from how to tie the right knots to how you should dress when you take to the seas. Sailing For Dummies gives you practical, easy-to-follow advice from buying the right equipment and gear, and setting sail for the first time to watching races on TV. Inside, you’ll also discover how to:
- Select the best boat to buy or rent for your sailing needs
- Navigate like a pro—day or night—with the help of charts, satellites, and compasses
- Handle mishaps such as torn sails and leaks
- Recover from a capsize, tow a boat, and keep safety a priority
- Understand U.S. federal boating regulations and other rules of the sea
- Find a sailing school that fits your schedule and your budget
- Make sailing fun for the entire family—from toddlers to teens
- Locate the best cruising destinations around the world
Featuring photos, illustrations, and tips Sailing For Dummies can help you tell the difference between a sailboat and a catamaran—and get you sailing in no time!
Baker & Taylor
Discusses the basics of sailing, including equipment, navigation, accidents, first aid, safety, and regulations